Wednesday 29 October 2014

Area of Improvement

Over the rest of the year (And of course during the year after), there are quite a few things that I wish to improve on to make myself a more competent candidate for the industry.

In terms of 2D animation, I hope to continue improving in my drawing skills (For both traditional and digital), aside from the usual need to improve on my technical skills (Particularly anatomy), I also wish to improve in the fluidity (To someday be half as good as James Baxter or Satoshi Kon) of my hand drawn animations. To achieve that, I will simply have to keep practicing as well as produce something new each day, be it for school, work, or simply for my own enjoyment. And as usual, there is the constant need to improve in other areas such as colour theory, lights and shadows, perspective, etc. 

The narrative aspect of my works remains of utmost importance to me (Especially as I wish to have several storybooks and comic books made for submission to various publishers in the future), while I have done several sequential works in the past, I believe I still have a long way to go when it comes to my storytelling skills. Aside from the pacing and style of my writing, there is once again the drawing aspect such as layouts, styles and colour palettes. And there is of course the conceptual aspect, such as character and setting designs. I will continue appreciating and studying the works of others as well as read through tutorials to better myself in that area.

While 2D animation will remain my first love, I would also like to improve on my 3D animation skills as well as expand on my knowledge from it (Seeing that it is still so highly valued by the industry in this day and age, I believe my reasons for wanting to improve on these two types of animations contrast highly to one another, but there is also the opportunity to combine them both someday to create something magnificent) despite the struggles I have faced since we began learning about Maya a few weeks back, I do hope to further improve my 3D modelling and animation skills as I go along nonetheless, learning about other 3D softwares such as AutoCAD, Blender and ZBrush would be most beneficial to me as well. I do hope to someday create some of my own indie game concepts to add to my portfolio.

And finally, while I have been incredibly fortunate to be watched/followed in return by people who I highly respect through several social medias (Eg, Tumblr and Twitter), networking and connecting with others in the industry continues to be a struggle for me, and while I might have improved a little in the previous year, I hope to continue improving in that area as I go along (Especially when I see most of my favourite illustrators and animators being so active on there).

No comments:

Post a Comment