Wednesday 30 March 2016

Commission

   I finished up my last commission on Monday, so I figured I would do a slightly more detailed write up on this somewhat simple process. While this art commission had been agreed upon months back, it was put on hold until now due to me wanting to focus on Context of Practice 3 and Extended Practice. And now that Easter break has started, I also decided to break in my new tablet monitor. After checking with her to see if she was still interested with this commission (Seeing as I hadn't asked her to pay first as I foresaw that it would take me some time to get to finishing it), I then continued lining and colouring the sketch I had done way back (And let me just say that lining is so much easier now with this tablet, thank the heavens).

Rough sketch that was done months back and
shown to her for her approval.
Lineart.
Base colors.

   I normally use a messy sort of painting style for most of my works, and so I really wanted to get a more polished piece done so that my commissioner could get her money's worth. I don't often line my works first and normally paint over my sketches in blocks of colours instead (Or even better, just paint in blobs of colours before actually shaping them into something recognisable) before painting over some more delicate details over them. But as I wanted to be much more precise on the details this time round and wanted to keep it cleaner, it was necessary to get the line art done first. After that, the base colours are painted in on a multiply frame before I did my usual painting over the lines to cover them up.


And this was actually something I hadn't done before until now,
while I always signed my works, this was the first time I added in
a little watermark in the corner when posting it on my site. As I was
going to reblog it on my other blogs, it felt right to show where
it was originally posted from.
   And in the end, I was actually paid extra as I was told that I was actually charging a lot less than I should. It was overall an incredibly satisfying commission that I had enjoyed working on and I was just so glad that she loved it!

No comments:

Post a Comment