Friday 1 November 2013

Darkstalkers (Capcom)



Thought I'd write up on something Halloween related here too (Though I should have already done so yesterday). If you are a fan of sprite designs, I am sure that you already know that the first installment of Darkstalkers was pretty much the game to set the bar for quality sprite animations, in terms of both aesthetics and animations.

Darkstalkers is a series of 2D fighting games developed by Capcom since 1994, it is set in a pastiche Gothic horror universe and features a highly stylized, cartoonic graphic style, the fun bit is that the series' characters are based on either various kind of monsters from different mythologies or their hunters. It is this game that introduced many concepts that would be later used in later Capcom fighting games, including the use of 16-bit color animation sprites and gameplay mechanics that would later be employed in the Street Fighter Alpha and Marvel Vs Capcom series.

While fruitlessly searching for at least one name that had worked on these sprites, I however managed to stumble upon a very interesting and entertaining article that explains how the Twelve Principles of Animation are applied in this game!


I had failed miserably with my first attempts in creating a sprite a few years back, and so I am really looking forward to properly learning about the process in designing sprites (Hopefully as beautiful as these) in one the later semesters, this game (Along with Street Fighter III) will be my main inspirations for sprite designs when that time comes!

No comments:

Post a Comment