Friday 15 November 2013

Katie Shanahan

Katie and her bro
I came across Katie's work by chance one day while surfing through Deviantart, and I was just blown away (While also laughing my guts out) to her hilarious comics, wandering further into her gallery, I quickly fell in love with her expressive, cartoony style and her amazing sense of humor that she skillfully applies to both her fantasy and slice of life works (And might I add that her semi-realistic works are also just as amazing).


A cartoonist, animator and storyboard artist from Toronto, Canada, it was perhaps not the professional animations that she had worked on that made her well known (Though she has worked on cartoons for PBS Kids, Cartoon Network, Mattel and National Geographic Kids), but her Harry Potter fan comic strips "Simply Potterifics" which can all be viewed here:


Katie's especially enjoys working on comics, and has contributed to numerous graphic novel projects and has independently published a few of her own in collaboration with her brother Steven "Shaggy" Shanahan, who normally does the writing.

"Silly Kingdom", KT and Shaggy's First Self Published Comic
When drawing at her own leisure, Katie tends to explore a lot with coloring styles and mediums, which really differentiates her fan art from that of other artists', she especially has the widest and most original range of expressions I have ever seen, and is easily able to explore an equally wide variety of body shapes and poses.

Sailor Moon (Watercolors) 
"Nekkid fairy time" (Sketchbook Pro, Copic Marker Feature)
Life Drawing


Color Studies
Katie is a huge inspiration to me when it comes to my more animated works, she has such an amazing gift in exaggerating expressions and body language, I hope to reach her level of carefree and loose designs as I continue to improve on my own work.

It was also Katie that indirectly warned me (And many others interested in this area) about how incredibly busy the life of an animator tends to be (Such as storyboarding or animating yourself blind each day), but hey, I still went for it didn't I?
http://ktshy.deviantart.com

No comments:

Post a Comment