Tuesday 10 May 2016

Character Design Challenge 2 - Heavy Metal


   Taking what I have learnt from my previous submission, I took the opportunity to rehash an old character design of mine that I did a couple of years back. While originally a fandom OC for an existing game series, Shi Xiang became so heavily developed in terms of her backstory and character that I decided to eventually place her into an original series (Which I am slowly still writing up). But the main thing is, I felt that I learnt a lot from my previous submission in terms of presentation and attempted to do a better job for this one.

    I decided to go back to a more comfortable style of drawing and painting for this one, and so there is notably huge difference in terms of the art style used for this one as compared to my Princess of Zelda piece (Where I actually attempted to copy one of the styles normally used for Disney concept art). And while this piece took two days (A rough sketch on the first day before I finished it up about a week later), I felt that the process didn't necessarily drag on as much as it did with the last piece. I also made sure that there was a stronger contrast in terms of colours, lighting and shading for this piece (A huge issue that I saw with my previous submission). I suppose the few problems I ended up facing was the fact that the lightning took away a lot of details, making it less noticeable that she is a decaying undead, and so more details had to be added in there in hopes that it would be made to clearer to the viewer, aside from the short description that would go with it, of course.







   I was really pleased to see that this piece was much more well received than my Zelda piece, and while it didn't actually go over 20 likes, I am still really happy that there were some folks that took notice of my first submission. Coming up next, my final character design submission for this module (Seeing as we will be submitting everything by this month), with the theme being "Mermaids and Mermen", it's definitely going to take me sometime to figure out something a little more original for this theme, as fun as it is... and there really isn't much time left.
   
   So stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment