Friday 13 May 2016

The Same River Twice


     The Same River Twice is the MFA graduation film of Weijia Ma of the United States that was featured in the Graduation Films in Competition category for Manchester Animation Festival 2015. A digitally hand drawn animated short, it contained 5 chapters centring around the her father and her. The father is an architecture engineer, who was born in a village with a strong emotional attachment to the farming fields and his home town. After a car accident, the family shows a calm attitude to every day. As time flows, everything is the same, but everything has changed. 

   I hadn't expected for this animation to hit this close to home... especially during the second half. It had a sweet and cute beginning, but it was definitely the dramatic turning point that especially caught my attention (If not made me weep far too many tears for my own liking... awkward much). Listening to my own mother tongue as the story is told in it certainly brought back lots of childhood memories, it was hard not to smile a little because of that. I could even sense the genuine emotion in the narrator's voice as she goes over each memory... especially during the day when her father had gotten into that car accident. Her voice, while it did not waver, had fallen just a little more quiet when compared to the previous chapters that she voiced over for. It was clear that she held a tight bond with her father, and how going back to these memories still deeply affected her to this day.

   The visual style used greatly reminded me of the illustrations I would see in my old mandarin school textbooks (Which in a way could be another form of nostalgia), with its painted look that was done successfully through digital means. I found it incredibly funny however just how much her father resembled mine, in terms of his appearance and his attachment to nature (While a business man, my father always enjoyed gardening and has many times mused about retiring to a little farm of his own...).

   Despite the fact that I ended up whimpering about this to my parents through Whatsapp by the end of that day, and was humorously told off to get a grip of myself, I really did enjoy this animation. I never would have thought that I would get to see such a heartfelt animation that reminded me so much of my own home and family in this festival, and I am really glad I did. And once again, I really did enjoy the style that was used throughout. There were just so many things about this piece of work that reminded me about what I had left back at home, but will soon enough be returning to after we graduate...

No comments:

Post a Comment