Thursday 22 May 2014

The Animated Self - Animating

Seeing that I only had two days to finish this up (So I had initially thought… well, we still have to submit the first version at least), I had to cut back on a lot of details, most of these scenes are just still images that are later on edited to have some movement in After Effects. 

As seen here the background, Felicity the central character, and the groups of people crowding around her are all separated into their own layers (The background was separated from Felicity just in case I needed to make any changes in details to it).



A little shadow was given to her body after on a separate layer, which I then
decided to combine for easier animating later on.
David gets a cameo for his contribution.
Nothing but straight lines for the first bit of the background.
Once I figured out a train interior design I was somewhat satisfied with,
I then started shading it in.
I then added in a bit more lighting.
I had to mess around a bit with Felicity's sitting pose, initially it had looked
like an exact copy of Chihiro's in Spirited Away, I also thought that
she looked a little too composed, and so I went with something that shows
more exhaustion.
Seeing how monochromatic everything already  is, I had to sketch out the crowd
in red so that I could actually see anything when I started painting over it.

I was considering adding in some blood details, but it would take away the tension I was trying to evoke… people however would probably still question why is it that woman in the bottom right is crying. To create better focus on the main character, I then painted a shadow over most of them.




The background perspective turned out to be a real huge pain in the ass,
I had to decrease her size and draw out a rough outline of her body to better figure it out.
After numerous attempts and references that weren't all that helpful...
After animating the head turning bit, I then started painting in her hair, it had originally simply looked like a blob without any volume whatsoever and it just looked so darn weird… (I think I had a gif for it, but for some reason it won't upload properly here, so I will just talk more), so I decided to take a bit more time in improving the movements of her hair sliding off her shoulder.



Another layer was placed over the last few frames so that there wouldn't be
a spastic change of hoodie shadows.
For the last scene where she reaches for her mother, I was clearly rushing with this bit and was thankful that the last section where she gets thrown from the sudden braking of the train had to be done quickly (So I didn't need to be too precise with the details on her).


I had originally drawn her arm frame by frame while copying and pasting
the hand, but in my rage I decided to scrap it and try something else.

The arm was instead separated into two sections, that I started to piece and position together for each frame, while it still looks pretty stiff and weird, I think it looks a lot smoother than the other hand drawn version.




I after that rushed to paint in each figure, coloring any transparent bits first.
I then once again did some quick shading.

I was suggested by my teacher to lessen the shaky movements of the train, which I will definitely do once I get some sleep… and fix up that darn white line at the top of the reaching scene… that's just my fault for not shading that sill properly.

No comments:

Post a Comment