Sunday 23 November 2014

Airy Me


This feels like a really sad animation to end on for "Girls on the Run", but nonetheless, I just knew I had to include this one, while the 'wired rabbit' that smiles as it lights up an otherwise pitch black room isn't all that disturbing compared to what we have already seen, it already gave us a hint on what will soon unfold further in. The cutesy anime expression is just both incredibly creepy and heartbreaking to look at, especially when they are later on seen on some weird creatures that go after the main female lead.

Yoko Kuno had taken two years to work on this animation as her graduation assignment when she was still in university, with the animation consisting of 3000 hand-drawn frames. Perhaps it would be easier to understand the meaning behind this animation if the english translation of the lyrics were available somewhere... I don't necessarily want to immediately assume that the female lead has been horribly abused in some way (Enough with the sexual abuse). It seems to me that she is struggling more with the fear of losing those that she is trying so hard to save, such as the patient that she dutifully takes care of each day.

While I felt that I had seen enough gory and disturbing animations for one day, I could still appreciate the amazing amount of effort put into this piece, with all the outstanding camera angles that had been traditionally drawn in instead of digitally animated, to know that every single frame was drawn by hand, just utterly amazes me (And humorously enough, I believe Yoko Kuno had actually put the rest of her classmates to shame during its showcase).

No comments:

Post a Comment