Monday 17 November 2014

Pommes Frites


I had honestly expected this short to be a dark and depressing one, especially after I had first seen how the art style looked in the preview image in the festival's guide book, but... I was actually pleasantly surprised by how this one turned out. A 3D and stop motion animation directed by Balder Westein of the Netherlands, "Pommes Frites" is a back to basics piece of animation with a simple storyline that has an unexpected but nifty punchline at the very end, it honestly just reminded me of the animations back in the 90s.

Coincidental humour is pretty much the best way to describe this short, as two completely unrelated events take place in two areas that are considerably far apart from one another... the hopeful children are thankfully given the happy ending they so wanted, as the incident had actually ended up amusing the only friendly neighbour in the small town, instead of frightening or offending him completely.

In terms of the animation's style and design, I do find myself admiring how well designed the small town actually is, as well as little details such as the neon lights used for the french fry shack, the fries do look a tiny bit off to me, as if they didn't fit in well with the rest of the setting (I mean, are those actually real fries during the close ups?). Aside from that, I also liked how the lighting was done to create that stormy look, as seen in the image above, there is a nice usage of colours (By adding in some soft mixtures of beige, yellow and cream into a small part of the sky that has yet to be taken over by the storm).

No comments:

Post a Comment