Thursday 27 November 2014

Cannon Busters Kickstarter


I have probably mentioned this way too many times during my short time here, but I have always looked up to LeSean Thomas and saw him as a role model for when I had begun my studies in Animation. And so I was absolutely ecstatic to hear that there was a Kickstarter to create an animated version of one of his passion projects, "The Cannon Busters".

"The Cannon Busters" follows the adventures and exploits of S.A.M, a high-end, royal-class friendship droid who is joined by a quirky, discarded maintenance robot and a brash, deadly fugitive. Together, the trio embark on an unforgettable journey in a fantastic and dangerous world in search of S.A.M's best friend, the heir to a powerful kingdom under siege.

Over the past few weeks, I have seen so many big names coming in to work on this project, be they writers, animators, concept artists, voice actors... as well as folks like Peter Chung, creator of "Aeon Flux" spreading the good word. It is also recently that Eric Calderon, a writer and co-producer of "Afro Samurai" has joined as a writer for this pilot.

While my knowledge of Kickstarter remains limited, when it comes to animators or anyone in the design industry, the global crowd funding platform in a way truly helps to motivate deserving folks to bring their creative projects to life. I know the Kickstarter with the potato salad might have turned off a lot of people, but we can't forget about other amazing projects, such as Aardman's "Morph", who returned only recently for a few adorable shorts. And then there's "Urbance", an incredibly unique looking animated action series written and directed by Joel Dos Reis Viegas and Sebastien Larroude... 

It is most definitely a considerably controversial thing, seeing how easily it can be abused, by supposedly anyone (Like Amanda Palmer and Zach Braff). But then there are gems like these buried underneath all that crap... which is unfortunate for deserving folks, if they already don't have a large enough following in other social medias.

All I'm saying is, I have never been more excited for any Kickstarter than LeSean's, and I absolutely hope that it will meet its goal over the next few days! (Honestly, I would have pledged more money, but alas, the life of a student...) I don't think I have seen many artists as passionate as him, especially in the animation industry.

But yes, if you haven't already, you can back it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment