Wednesday 19 November 2014

The Power of Empathy


"The Power of Empathy" is an RSA animation short based around an audio recording from Dr Brene Brown's talk at the RSA on the "Power of Vulnerability", it is in this talk where the differences between sympathy and empathy are discussed upon, and it is in this animation where her explanation is better visualised.

I don't think I come across these types of animations very often (Or maybe I just never looked hard enough) where something is placed over a live, uneditted piece of recording to better visualise what it is the speaker (Or narrator) is discussing to the audience. I wouldn't say that the animation fits perfectly to what is being said, and I suppose that is actually the charm of this animation, where fairly cute animal characters are used to act out the speaker's explanation on the difference between empathy and sympathy.

An incredibly relatable topic for most of us, I found myself really liking this short, it's sweet, easy to understanding and somewhat amusing, sometimes such topics can be better understood when decent visuals are used. Narratives can be created from anything really, and they need not always have to be done in an overly abstract manner.

No comments:

Post a Comment