Saturday 22 November 2014

The Elephant and the Bicycle


"The Elephant and the Bicycle" is a French, Belgium cut out animation by Olesya Shchukina, the story follows an elephant who works as a town street cleaner. One day he sees an advertisement for a bicycle and seems to be the right size for a creature of his size, and it is from there on that he goes all out to earn enough money to get his dream bike.

I had initially thought that the story was going to be focusing on the environment, seeing how it starts off with people callously throwing their trash about without a care, and so I suppose I was a tiny bit turned off by that, despite how the title already gave a clear idea on what the storyline actually was. It was however, a really sweet and cute story with a heartwarming ending where the elephant decides to just make others happy despite not being able to get what he had wanted in the end (Oh snap, spoiler there!).

I always did find cut out animations to have a certain sort of charm to them (Much like "The Caterpillar and Hen"), and I think that it especially suits most children animations. If I were to end up doing something stop-motion based (Especially on my own), it would most definitely be done with paper cut outs... I would honestly love create at least one animation in that style, though of course it will depend on how much time I have and how much details I want to put into it.

Anyway, this was a lovely piece of narrative with a sweet story and cute style, and it was an overall just a nice change of pace from all the incredibly abstract and disturbing animations we have seen in the "Professional", "Students", "Short Shorts" and "Panorama" screenings (Not that they were all like that...).

No comments:

Post a Comment