Sunday 17 May 2015

NekoShowguN

I first found NekoShowguN's works when searching through the developmental works of Grasshopper Manufacture's Lollipop Chainsaw, and illustrator that hails from Japan, the young artist first made her debut as part of the Osake art collective Digemout and has done art for music games such as GuitarFreaks and DrumMania. Before that, Neko normally did rather dark and/or sexualised fan art of Nintendo characters that had its own unique appeal in its own way...

But her highest profile work to date is as lead character and weapon designer for Goichi Suda's Lollipop Chainsaw, the very thing that I discovered her through. There is something absolutely gorgeous about Neko's art style that I still can't get over to this day (And numerous times, I have tried to draw in a similar manner to the way she does, and of course failing as I do). I have always wondered how she was able to make all her characters look so good while at the same time so wonderfully expressive (As seen below).

Expression sheet for Lollipop Chainsaw's heroine, Juliet Starling.

Juliet's iconic weapon.

As a certain article said, Neko's art always had this uniquely glossy if not pulpy look to it, which just seems to unique to me and while I feel allows her works to stand out all the more, especially among all the other concept artists we see these days. As tiny as the Lollipop Chainsaw art book turned out to be when I first ordered it, it was still a worthwhile buy just to see her gorgeous concepts (But darn it, they really could have printed these books out bigger!)... Looks like I might end up get Suda51's next art book.

*squints*

No comments:

Post a Comment