Sunday 17 May 2015

Showreel


I started putting together my showreel over the last few days and I was thankful to learn that I did have a few decent works to pick from to put in there (It really pays to give it your all for every single assignment you do, despite the chest pains that is). As I started putting it altogether, I kept reminding myself about two important things, to show only my best possible works and not to make it too long, a piece of advice that has practically been given in all the talks I attended and the advice videos I watched.

While I was initially going to insert my Pixilation and Maya animations in there, they just did not seem to fit with the rest of the 2D animations that were already in there. And unfortunately, it did not seem right to insert the animation sketches that I have done for my Applied Animation 2 project in there either (Seeing that they were both unfinished and did not seem to fit with the rest of the pieces I had already put in, and if I was to show off the lip syncing, it would probably be better to put it into another showreel), I would however later on insert other works from that module into my portfolio.

Despite the fact that nearly everything was done only in Photoshop and After Effects, I did wish to show more of my drawing skills and how I could work on all sorts of genres (Children, horror, humour etc.). And so my Pixilation and Maya animations just would not belong in any part of this showreel.

I ended up using "Sleep Scape" by Aura Distorter, a song that I found through SampleSwap, I immediately contacted the artist in hopes of getting his permission. I am still waiting on a response, but I am sure that I can use it since it will be for non-profitable purposes.

I started splitting the animations into several clips and started spreading them about when editing, in hopes of getting my works to sync better with the music that played. There were also some weaker parts that definitely had to be cut out, and seeing that it would be weird to put the cut up animations side by side, it was better to separate and spread them apart.

This is my first showreel and I hope it will catch the interests of some folks... I definitely do have to start working on some new material.

No comments:

Post a Comment